Monday, January 17, 2011

Using a Homework Contract

I know that you have heard of a homework contract. Have any of you thought about using one? I decided to take a look. My oldest has been struggling with taking some responsibility for making sure that her homework is done this year. As she ages, the ability for her to take responsibility for her work is more and more important. Can a homework contract help?

They claim that if your tween is struggling with homework, or just can't seem to keep herself organized, a homework contract can help.

A well-written contract points out your child's homework responsibilities point by point, but also helps her understand how you can help guide her, and work with her in order to keep her assignments under control.

Just remember that a homework contract isn't about punishing a child, it's a tool that you both can use to stay organized. It's also a reminder that your child's success depends on both of you.

A Sample Student/Parent Homework Contract

Student Responsibilities
  • I will keep track of my homework assignments every day and write them in my agenda before leaving class.
  • I will bring home all books and workbooks needed to finish my homework assignments.
  • If I don't understand a homework assignment, I will ask my teacher for more information.
  • I will make sure I know when my assignment is due and write it in my agenda.
  • I will obey classroom and school rules, and follow along when the teacher is teaching.
  • I will let my parents know when I need school supplies that will help me complete assignments.
  • I will find a quiet location to finish my assignments, so that I'm not distracted.
  • I will complete my assignments before I watch television, text my friends, or play on the computer.
  • I will let my parents know if I do not understand an assignment, or am having trouble keeping up in class.
  • I will allow my parents to quiz me, tutor me or help me understand material I am struggling with.

SIGNED _________________________________ (Tween's Signature)

DATE ___________________________________


Parent Responsibilities

  • I will provide my child with a quiet place to study that's free from distractions.
  • I will stay up-to-date on my child's progress in school.
  • I will make sure that my child has the supplies she needs to finish her assignments.
  • If my child is struggling with a homework assignment, I will offer suggestions and advice, but will not complete the assignment for her.
  • I will be patient with my child when she does not understand an assignment, and I will keep my emotions in check.
  • I will contact my child's teacher if she is struggling with a particular subject.
  • If necessary, I will find a tutor for my child, or enlist her in an after-school tutoring program.
  • I will encourage my child to read everyday.
  • I will encourage my child to do her homework when she's the most alert (such as in the afternoon or early evening).
  • I will not over-schedule my child with so many extra-curricular activities that she cannot keep up with her homework assignments.
  • I will monitor my child's television time, computer time, and time spent texting so that she has ample time to complete her assignments.
  • I will talk with my child everyday about her school experience.
  • I will offer my child positive encouragement and will acknowledge her efforts.
  • I will adjust this homework contract as necessary to meet my child's school needs.

SIGNED _______________________________ (Parents' Signatures)

DATE _________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment