Sunday, December 18, 2011

On the Fifth Day of Christmas - Christmas Traditions


My family is still sort of young so we are still figuring out our traditions, but with the hubby's help, we have picked out a few to share.

Our dirty little penguin and our monkey doodle
We all decorate our Christmas tree. Whatever day we decide to decorate our tree, we all four do it together. And, this is sort of a big thing for me. (Not a big thing, as in it's really important. Big thing, as in really difficult.) I am a perfectionist, as well as self-proclaimed OCD. I cannot stand it when there are too many similar ornaments together, but I am actually really proud of my girls this year. I have not had to go back and "fix" the tree.

My girls get to open one present on Christmas Eve. It is always a present that I pick out and the present that I pick is always pajamas. Typically, the oldest gets penguin pajamas and the youngest gets monkey pajamas.

The hubby reads "Twas the Night Before Christmas" on the night before Christmas.

The hubby also reads the nativity story from the Bible on Christmas day.

The hubby stealing a gift during Dirty Santa
It is always just us on Christmas morning. I love my husband's family, but I love our family more. It is really stressful for me to be around my kids when they are around their grandparents (from any side). You moms know what I am talking about. Grandparents spoil and kids know it. Mine know better than to cross the line, but they are not shy about pushing it when we are around grandparents. So, for me to really enjoy Christmas morning, it is best for it to just be us. Plus, it reinforces our bond to share these special moments together.

Christmas Eve with the Sinks. Typically, the hubby's father's side of the family gets together on Christmas Eve. So far, we have made it to each one. It's nice to know when to count on that get together being held.

Dirty Santa with the Yountz. The hubby's mother's side of the family gets together usually the weekend before Christmas and we always play Dirty Santa. I look forward to this every year and again, it's a get together that I can plan on a consistent basis.

Wow, that is more traditions that I thought we had!

No comments:

Post a Comment