Sunday, February 19, 2012

Psalm 73

 1 Surely God is good to Israel,
   to those who are pure in heart. 
2
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;
   I had nearly lost my foothold.
3
For I envied the arrogant
   when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
4 They have no struggles;
   their bodies are healthy and strong.
5
They are free from common human burdens;
   they are not plagued by human ills...
12 This is what the wicked are like—
   always free of care, they go on amassing wealth...
16
When I tried to understand all this,
   it troubled me deeply
17
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
   then I understood their final destiny.

 18 Surely you place them on slippery ground;
   you cast them down to ruin... 
21 When my heart was grieved
   and my spirit embittered,
22
I was senseless and ignorant;
   I was a brute beast before you.
23 Yet I am always with you;
   you hold me by my right hand.
24
You guide me with your counsel,
   and afterward you will take me into glory.
25
Whom have I in heaven but you?
   And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26
My flesh and my heart may fail,
   but God is the strength of my heart
   and my portion forever...
 Reading Psalm 23 really spoke to me today. But it also had me questioning my own motives.

I am definitely the person in the beginning of this Psalm. I have slipped because of my own jealousy.  I have slipped when I look at the seemingly easy life that nonbelievers have. I look at those people who step on others without a backward glance on their way up and I wonder what it would be like to be them. But, then I have too much of a heart for that. (Wow, I guess I do let some of the love of Jesus shine from me. Something I never thought that I was good enough at.)

But, I have to say, I have never understood why others can have seemingly anything they want while some of us struggle and work and everything crumbles around us. I am just going to come out and say it. Why is it that some people have no heart, step on everyone they can, live in a big house, have the kids they want, have the careers they want, and seem to not have a care in the world. Then there are others of us who struggle. We live in houses barely big enough for our families, we struggle with raising the children we have, and yet all those struggles seem to be for naught sometimes. Heck, we even struggle with ourselves, our ego, our self-image, our bodies, our everything.

What worries me is that the good Christians that I know are confident in where they will end up and they don't worry so much about this world. So, then why do I? Does this mean I am not a "good Christian"? Shouldn't I be more focused on laying at the feet of Jesus and less on what this world may think of me? What is it about me that won't let go and let God?
Source
And yet, "...you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory." I can't forget that part!



No comments:

Post a Comment