Monday, February 27, 2012

Today was a Big Step

Today, I finally sucked it up and asked God to help me (with Beth's help, of course).

Source
Dear God, 

I come to You... because I need some things only You can give me... I need my dignity back. You alone knows what insecurity has cost me, what trouble - even torment - it has caused me. You are intimately acquainted with every time it's made a fool of me. You know how hard I've fought to play the game, but... I'm sick of faking... I desperately need and want to be delivered from my chronic insecurity... I am willing to do whatever it takes to... allow You to do through me what I cannot do for myself...


You know that way I'm formed... You know how driven I am by fear and how exhausted I am from surrendering to it. Lord, in the most hidden places, I am so afraid that...I will end up alone and unloved.


Deliver me, Lord...Reveal any place (unhealthy motivation) reside(s) uncontested in me, and supply the courage I need to refuse to do (it's) bidding... I don't need to hide anything from You or act stronger or more together than I am... (G)rant me a supernatural confidence that I am safe with You and loved by You... Because of Your grace, I come to You just as I am. This is the way I would describe myself to You right now: broken.


But Lord, You know me better that I know myself. You know why I think like I do and why I feel like I do. You know my every thought. My every disappointment. You know every ugly or ridiculous thing I've ever said or done out of insecurity... As You reveal Yourself to me, I ask that You also mercifully reveal myself to me. Grant me insight into patterns I've developed, and give me answers that bring healing...

God, You know the complexities of my soul and that most of the time I can't even figure myself out... Lord, help me to take responsibility for the insecurity that is my own doing... I am painfully aware that I've created some of my own misery...

Please forgive me for my self-worship. For my relentless pursuit of control and for my futile attempts at doing Your job. Forgive me for my foolish pride. Forgive me for nursing my ego until it grows so fat that everything that touches it bruises it. Forgive me for my miserable self-absorption. Forgive me for the jealousness and covetousness that feed my insecurity. Forgive me for turning too many things into competitions... Forgive me for the... sin of despising myself and considering myself inferior to others... Forgive me for the inordinate self-protection that has only managed to imprison me.

Now, Lord, I ask You to pull up the roots of insecurity that were not of my own doing, and usher in healing and restoration. You know every single place where instability has touched my life. You remember details that were long erased from my memory but are still inflicting insecurity... Touch every broken and wounded place (of my heart) with Your healing hand.
Lord, empower me to forgive those who have let me down, failed to protect me, or inflicted injury upon me...

You know the pain. You know the unbearable emptiness that can come with loss... Help me to see any place in my life where I'm hanging on to my grief or anger in an attempt to hang on to what I've lost... Where I lost innocence, grant me insecurity. Where I lost a relationship, grant me true intimacy... Where I've held someone responsible for my loss, grant me the ability to forgive...


Lord, help me to learn how to hang on tight to You when my life is rocked by dramatic change. Empower me to trust You and not to panic or fight for control. Help me to stop confusing a change in circumstances with a change in my security status. You are my security, O God...


Father, help me to see where I am overly sensitive and where I put too much pressure on relationships. Help me to see where I insist on making a situation all about me...Deliver me from insecurity in my relationships. Help me to cease being so easly wounded, but at the same time, keep me from growing hardened... Help me to stop using a person as my mirror and start seeing myself as You alone see me.


Lord, ...I thank You with my whole heart for working so diligently in my life. (T)here have... been people who have shown me glimpses of you. Not perfect people, but genuine people. In particular, I thank you for my husband, who has been a never-ending source of support and comfort, and for my friend Vicki, who is an tremendous encourager and wonderful inspiration.


I thank You for all You have done to get me to this place and for the plan You have ahead for me... Please restore to my soul all that insecurity have stolen from me... Perform a miracle on me, Lord... Clothe me with strength and dignity. Transform what drives me. Quell what triggers me. Make me a courageous woman...


Today on February 27, 2012, I recieve my dignity back. No one and nothing can take it from me because You are the One who gave it. Help me to... claim (my dignity) back and hang on to it with all my might.


In Jesus' saving and delivering name,
Amen.

Source

***This is a very brief form of the prayer that Beth Moore includes in her book So Long, Insecurity. I encourage you, with all of my heart, to read her entire book and reap all the benefits that it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment