Saturday, July 21, 2012

Camp Time

I got an exciting opportunity last week. My youngest was off to her first time at summer camp. She is a rising Second Grader. What did that translate to? She has to take a "buddy" (a.k.a. parent) to camp with her overnight.

Now, you have read before about my social issues. (Heck, I have attended the same Sunday School class for three years and almost every Sunday, no one speaks to me.) So, you can only guess how nervous I was to got off to camp and have the added stress of making sure it was  a wonderful time for my youngest.

I have to say, at camp, I was able to step out from myself and have a blast. I took my youngest on a canoe ride, even though I have never been in a canoe before. (And, yes, I had to be rescued from the canoe in the end when I just couldn't get it back to the dock.)

We went swimming and I was quite possible one of the biggest girls there, yet, that picture of me going down the water slide is my profile picture on Facebook. (Have I mentioned that I hate pictures of myself?)

I even let my little gnome sculpt my hair with shaving cream and decorate me like a clown with mayonnaise, mustard, and ketchup in the Family Olympics. Talk about stepping outside of myself.

I will say that I was extremely proud of my youngest while we were at camp. She was well behaved, well mannered, and needed very little prompting or prodding to do her every day routines (unlike at home). But, most importantly, I felt so overwhelming in love with her and refreshed in the Spirit.

Did I mention that it is a Christian camp?

Now, I really know why my oldest considers Vespers (worship) her favorite part of camp. I even participated in the choreography that goes along with the children's worship songs!

1 comment:

  1. I talk to you when I'm there! We just took a break from class, so I guess that means no one will talk to you now? Lame!

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete