Saturday, October 1, 2011

Panic Attack, Really?

I had the weirdest thing happen to me yesterday.  (And forgive me hubby, I didn't think about it last night in order to tell you first). I was at work having a really productive day and I had a strange feeling come over me. I got all jittery and shaky.

Months ago, when I had to be on a steroid dosepak for my back pain, I had a way more severe type of feeling. But I haven't been taking anything out of the ordinary and it was just a normal day at the office, nothing that should have made me nervous or spiked my adrenaline...

One of my coworkers suggested that if it wasn't medication related, then it could be a mild panic/anxiety attack. Mind you, I have suffered panic attacks in the past and learned in middle school how to control them with diaphragm breathing. Every so often, one will break through, but I really couldn't tell you the last time that I felt one.

My normal panic attacks are usually all out numbness in my face and a severe inability to breathe. (I had one in the cafeteria of school once and the teachers thought I was choking on my food.)

But, once my coworker suggested that it was a panic attack, I went to my office and did some breathing. (Mind you this was after trying a cigarette to calm down (sorry again hubby) and even getting something to eat, thinking it was my blood sugar.) Sure enough, the breathing did the trick.

So, I had probably only the second panic attack that I have had in the last three years. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment