Welcome to Mommy World invited me to do an "about me" style post. Well, not me personally, it was more of an open invitation on her blog. She thought it might be fun to share 25 facts/things that maybe you don't already know. I loved the idea, so here goes...
1. I would legally be considered an orphan, but I have family around. (I was a ward of the state until I turned 18.)
2. I was a single mom for eight years. It's not easy, but in that time I went to school, started a career, raised a compassionate girl, established our little family, and even bought a house.
3. I am good at bargain shopping, but I am not patient enough to go through the racks. I especially don't like crowds. The first time I ever tried Black Friday, I left a full cart in the cosmetic aisle of Walmart because I couldn't deal with all the people.
4. I like Madonna. Not her latest material, but some of the older stuff that I grew up with. Like a Prayer is awesome!
5. I have major self esteem issues. I am the daughter of an alcoholic and a survivor of sexual abuse (3 times over). Because of this I have a very skewed view of myself and how I relate to the world. I often suffer depression and PTSD.
6. My favorite movie is Phantom of the Opera with Gerard Butler and Emma Rossum. I am sucker for heart break movies and the fact that my husband likes it adds to the appeal.
7. I am very stubborn and prideful. Even though I am a Christian, I really have trouble with submission and obedience.
8. I struggle in my relationships. All of them. My relationships with my grandparents, my husband, and even both of my children. I love them all and they have my loyalty, but I have a hard time letting anyone in too deep.
9. Growing up, I never went to a school for more than one year until I got to high school. I was an army brat from a broken home. I did not struggle in school or with friendships. I actually adjusted pretty well to all the moving. It's the people in my life who really messed me up.
10. I have an obsession with anything miniature. It doesn't matter what it is, if it's miniature, I love it!
11. I have gone as far as to put my daughter in counseling. She is only 10 and was recently released after a year of counseling for bouts of stress hives this time last year.
12. I am painfully shy when meeting people for the first time. And even being around people that I am not around on a regular basis. I have been a member of the same Sunday School Class for more than two years and I am still very self-conscious around all of the people in there.
13. I sponsor a child in Nicaragua through World Vision. It took more than 6 months to get our first letters from her, but as soon as she wrote, she had my heart and I can't wait to start sponsoring another child.
14. I actually like my job. I am not just comfortable with my job, I actually like being a paralegal/case manager. I like working for "ambulance chasers." I like helping others to be compensated for life situations that weren't their fault.
15.I am a HUGE animal nut! When I met my husband, I had 6 pets (2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 ferret, 1 bird, 1 fish). I don't ever expect my love for animals to change although my husband probably wishes it would. But, you can't find love or loyalty stronger than that of your pet's (at least the dogs).
16. My favorite store is Target. Although I don't like searching through racks, I can spend hours hitting all the clearance racks/shelves at Target.
17. I would rather have my teeth pulled than hang out with family. I love my family, but every get together, I dread going, but when I do go, I have a blast!
18. My first car was a Datsun B210. I was too short to reach the clutch and sold it for $20.
19. I remember when I first started to shave. My grandmother, Teta, told me she was taking me out for summer clothes and I refused to allow her to buy me shorts. When she asked, I told her that I was not wearing shorts with my hairy legs. (I was only 10 years old.) Her reply: "you know where the razors are."
20. I am team Jacob. I have a soft spot for those who don't have a chance.
21. Even though I work for personal injury attorneys and I know the damage an accident can do, I typically drive 10 miles over the speed limit.
22. I can't stand for someone to try to call me a yankee. Some people from Georgia would refer to me as a yankee and I would have to remind them that I am from the west, not the north. They are two completely different worlds (I know, see #9). Not to mention, yankee is a derogatory word here in the south.
23. I really do laugh a lot, despite some of what is posted above. My husband's favorite nickname for me is "chuckle but".
24. I can't stand slippers that resemble shoes. Mine have to bee the slid on kind. I can't stand the heat generated on my feet and need to be able to slide by slippers off frequently. (If I don't wear slippers, then my hubby doesn't sleep very well because I use him to warm my feet at night.)
25. I love the mountains. I get very nostalgic every time I come anywhere near Boone, NC. I was born in Colorado Springs, CO and I spent 10 years of my life there from middle school up. I used to camp and fish with my family and I have a secret desire to start hiking.
Wow! That was tough! I never think that my life is interesting and when asked about myself, I usually talk about the people in my life. I kept this post about me and I can't believe I actually came up with 25! Yay me! (If I say so myself.)
Feel free to create a "25 things" post on your blog to link up at Welcome to Mommy World.