Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hypothyroidism

Source
Okay, I have been struggling for a while, but I haven't posted here about my ... weight loss (or lack thereof).

The day after I turned 31, I weighed myself and I was... eeek!...230lbs. I joined myfitnesspal.com. I started tracking calories, fat, protein, and fiber. I maintained a 1700 calorie or less diet for three months! What did I have to show for it? Another 10 lbs!

Needless to say, I got depressed and obsessed with my weight. I even started contemplating starving myself and that is when I decided to turn to my doctor.

My doctor says that while my TSH is "within limits", it is typically over 3, therefore I have a sluggish thyroid. She drew blood for a final recheck and if my TSH is still 2 or 3, then she will call me in a prescription for Synthroid.

5 comments:

  1. Yikes. That sucks. I have PCOS, which is a big reason I have weight issues. That and genetics. BUT, I the metformin has helped with my insulin resistance, which helps with not storing excess insulin as fat. Whatever helps get us in better health, right? You can do it!

    xo,
    A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A. You are one of the reasons that I got with my doctor as soon as I detected a problem. You are a great inspiration!

      Delete
  2. If you have any sorts of thyroid related diseases, desiccated porcine tablet is one of the best solutions you've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the suggestion Andrea, but my prescription from the doctor costs a lot less, so I'll give it a try. I appreciate the input, though.

      Delete