Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fool, Fool, Fool

I am reading a really tough chapter in So Long, Insecurity. Chapter 7 is a long chapter full of stories of ways that insecurity has made a fool of unnamed people.

Believe it or not, this actually made me want to share some ways that my insecurities have made a fool of me. I have two stories to tell. One is a specific incident and the other is a generality.

Source
To this day, I am jealous of my hubby's ex. I don't want to go into too many details, but I have never felt that I can live up to the image that she left with him. I, however, abhor this woman. Things were done that raised my hackles early in our relationship and I have never moved past it. Anyways, about 4 months into our relationship, there was a party. But, on the way there, the baked beans spilled on me, then the hubby's ex was there which I really don't think I was expecting. As the night progressed, we started making drinks and lets just say, I enjoyed call out the names of those drinks WAY too much. I embarrassed my hubby so much that he has never taken me to another office party. I can't say that I blame him.

Now, for number two...

Source
I am a survivor of a sexually abusive father and an alcoholic mother. I have lived my life feeling bad. For years and years, I struggled not to be a victim. I put my head down and plunged forward in my life. I went to school, started a career, bought a house, raised a daughter, etc. But, once I finally (at 28 years old) accepted the fact that I was a victim, I almost immediately started dealing with the rejection.

Four years later and it still gouges a huge hole in my chest to think that over and over again, my mom chose drugs and alcohol over me; that my father rejected me as a daughter and instead tried to make me (a 13 year old) as a lover.

As time has progressed and I have managed to sabotage other family relationships, the rejection of my parents have expounded the rejection of others. It still causes me great fear of rejection of others. I fear rejections so much that I often race to reject others before they can reject me. Most of the time, though, the other person has no idea that I have rejected them. I reject them by disconnecting myself from them. Then, their rejection can't hurt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment