Friday, May 25, 2012

Our Journey With What We Thought Was ADHD (Part 4)

Read Part 3 here.

After the suicidal ideation in January (you can read more about that day here), I became the over-protective, I will fight anything mom that I needed to be.
Source

I immediately called my oldest daughter’s old counselor with Youth Focus. We scheduled an appointment for that same day and she closely evaluated her. Karen, the counselor, told me that my daughter was not an immediate danger to herself, but that she definitely needed counseling once a week.

At my daughter’s second therapy appointment, (I was oversensitive and I know this, but...) Karen started to try to pressure me to get my daughter on stimulant medication for ADHD. This went against the previous decision of Karen, our pediatrician, and myself. Yet, Karen really tried to batter me into seeking this treatment. But, it all felt wrong.

I called my daughter’s pediatrician and we talked it over. We had a good 20 minute conversation on the telephone and she referred my daughter to a psychiatrist for evaluation. She told me that she would not put my daughter on stimulant medication unless a psychiatrist okayed it because of her previous reaction to the non-stimulants. She assured me that I am and have done the right things by my daughter.

I also requested a referral to a developmental pediatrician, and my pediatrician agreed.

By mid March, my oldest was seen by a psychiatrist, who diagnosed her with Depression and ADHD. Karen had made a failed attempt to guide the appointment towards ADHD medication, but you can read more about that here. My daughter was placed on Welbutrin and has done increasingly better since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment