Friday, September 21, 2012

The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of

I just had the most wonderful night and at the same time, parts of it were hard.

I don't think that I ever shared this, but my hubby has an older sister that he has never met. She was the product of his father's first marriage and his father had not seen her since she was about 3 years old.

This past Christmas, one of my hubby's family member made contact with "sister" and invited the hubby to do the same. He was so worried about rifts in the family that it took him about 9 months to move on it. but tonight was the night! My hubby met his sister, I met my sister and brother-in-law, and my daughter's met their cousins! It was truly wonderful!

We met at a mutually favorite mexican restaurant and spent about 2 1/2 hours hanging out, talking, laughing, and the kids literally running around. It did not seem like 2 1/2 hours. It seemed like only moments, but then, we have a lot of time to make up for.



The cousins all got along beautifully! (Let me just say, these are the first real cousins that my oldest has and the first on our side.) My sister-in-law (how cool is that? I have a SIL!) is married to what seems to be a wonderful man and seems very happy. My husband was so tickled to meet his sister!

At the same time. tonight was hard and there were a few times that I had to keep myself from crying. Getting to meet the hubby's sister and see that rift sewn up, reminds me of all the rifts in my family. I don't get to see/talk to at least 75% of my family and it hurts. I also have two sisters that I have never met and a younger sister who refuses contact due to the fact that she is scared my father would find her too. I also have a brother who has nothing to do with me and I have minimal contact with my mother and NO contact with my father. So, even though tonight was the stuff of dreams, it was hard too. Or....I could choose to look at it as inspiring. It puts a greater pull on my heart to heal some rifts in my family (as much as they can be).

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful thing that you guys could all hang out! We have a boatload of family issues too--so I can understand the poignancy of the evening. What a blessing, though :)

    ReplyDelete